Saturday, July 18, 2009

Wait...What?

Now that I think about it, I never really clarified why The Shame of the Nation changed my life. First of all, it opened my eyes to severe injustices going on right under the nation's (and my own) nose. I was sort of aware of these inequalities before, but this book hit home for me. While I read it, I kept thinking "I have to do something." I knew I couldn't just sit back and let the injustices occur. What I'll actually DO is another story, but this book inspired me to do SOMEthing.

Secondly, this book made me realize how passionate I am about kids and teaching. After reading this book, I know that I can't be a teacher is some middle- or upper-class school with primarily white kids. In fact, I can't even teach in a middle- to upper-class school at all while I know that kids in poor areas all around the country are not receiving proper education. Even though my job will be made harder, I'll still be part of the struggle to educate the poor children who aren't getting what they deserve. Even if I do spend time teaching in a segregated school where there are mostly white kids, I'll make a point to educate them about the inequalities in America's education system.

Jonathan Kozol mentioned Teach for America a few times in his book, and I have seen the signs to apply for the program on Western's campus, but I never really understood what the program was all about. I went on their website and discovered that Teacher for America takes the top graduates from universities all around the US and provides them with adequate training to go out into low-income schools with mostly black and Hispanic children - where good teachers are needed the most. Apparently there are hundreds of thousands of applicants each year, but very few are admitted. Those who are admitted are sent all over the country to work in a school for two years. There are no schools for Teach For America in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho, so the closest place to teach is California. Seattle is a fairly segregated area as far as schools and such (as was mentioned in Kozol's book), but there are no spots for Teach for America students. After looking around, I decided that I really want to do Teach for America, even though my chances of being selected are slim. Apparently they reject thousands of applicants from Harvard, Oxford, Georgetown, Stanford, etc. In order to be accepted, I'll need one heck of a resume and ... I don't know ... I'll need to do some impressive things while I'm in college.

Thinking about Teach for America made me think, "how far am I willing to travel to teach?" Several months ago, Jon said he was concerned about us finding a teaching job in the same area and being able to stay together. At the time, I pushed away the idea because finding a teaching job and whatnot was so far away. But if I am accepted to do Teach for America, I'll have to travel, at the least, to California, but most teachers are needed in New York and in the South. What will happen to our relationship if one or both of us leaves for an extended amount of time? On one hand, I don't want either of us to hold the other back from any opportunity what so ever, but I happen to love Jon quite a bit and I honestly can't imagine being without him. I mean, I could live for a few months without seeing him, but what if it's longer than that? Will we stay together? Is it worth staying together if we can't see each other? (My opinion is "yes"...) Even if Teach for America stays out of both of our lives, what are the odds of us each finding a job in the same area, especially if I want to be in area where I can teach "minority" children?

Reading The Shame of the Nation has made me think about my future more than ever, and I feel like I'm chasing this dream of changing the lives of hundreds of children with my teaching, but I want Jon to be there with me.

--Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment