Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'm Wasting My Time at College

Man, I really need to post an up-beat blog. Maybe someday...

Anyway, as winter quarter ends and registration for spring quarter begins, I'm realizing more and more that I'm waiting my time at college. It's not like I have nothing to do or that I hate what I'm doing, 'cause I'm doing a lot of stuff that I really love. But I'm only taking 3 classes that count towards my major each quarter. What a waste of time! My credits are fluffed with a mentoring class (which is great for practical experience, but doesn't count towards my education major, ironically), and band/lessons. Together, that's 4-6 credits that aren't going towards a degree. And I'll already be in college for an abnormally long period of time due to my large major and endorsements.

For a few days, I was convinced I was going to take four classes towards my major next quarter, and volunteer for the mentoring program and band, so I would be taking an equivalent of 22 or 23 credits. It didn't sound that scary because band, lessons, and the mentoring program don't give out homework. Basically, I'd only have to do homework for four classes. But then I realized I would have NO time to do homework or do my practicum work. So I cannot take four classes for my major/endorsement; I can only take three. So now I'm back to shuffling my feet through college, only taking a few classes at a time. This cannot be a good way to spend my time, but there's no way I can NOT see my 5th graders or participate in the music program or in my clubs. Ug. I'm so conflicted!

Blog gods, please guide me in the right direction. Amen.

~Elie

1 comment:

  1. The trick is to realize that the '4-6 credits that aren't going towards your degree' are helping you in other ways. The fact you're taking a mentoring class, despite your previous mention of it not being 'for your major' >IS< actually for your major.

    That class (and I'd argue many of the classes you've taken that aren't for your major) is giving you abilities and experience that will make you a better candidate for jobs that you'll be applying to post-graduation.

    The fact that you're, as you said 'doing what you really love' ought to highlight this fact... instead of crossing it out.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that college shouldn't be as much about "THE DEGREE" as it is about the education. There's a big difference, and I hate to say it, but I hope that you (an education major) see that soon.

    Have an excellent spring quarter!

    [randomly found this blog off of Viking Village]

    ReplyDelete