Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm Going to Try to Become a Vegetarian

...After I eat all the meat that I've already bought and is in my house, so it (and the animal's death for it) doesn't go to waste. And because it's still delicious.

I've come to the conclusion that since human's don't have to eat meat, since we can get our nutrients from other places, since we can make that choice, since the raising of animals for meat is a huge contributor to environmental problems, since animals raised for meat eat a shit ton of food, and a tiny fraction of that actually gets converted into what we eat, since the industrial meat industry is totally fucked up and abuses the shit out of animals in countless ways, and since it causes the (usually unnecessarily brutal) death of an animal that has complex thoughts and feelings... being a vegetarian just seems the logical thing to do. This is going to be hard for me, since I've been an avid meat-lover my entire life. It's an integral part of my diet. Pepperoni pizza, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, BACON, ham, steak, ribs, chicken in its various forms... I love them all. But other than my own selfish desires and their wide availability, there just isn't a logical reason to continue eating them.

What spurred this? Well, a little YouTube dude named Onision. He's kind of a jackass sometimes, but the big thing that made me think was when he said something along the lines of, "Yes, humans have been eating meat since the beginning of time... but we aren't eating meat because we're fighting for our lives. We have the choice. I hope you make the right one." He's right. We need to recognize that.

I know it's hypocritical of me to get preachy this early on, but... me becoming a vegetarian is kind of a miracle. If you think you're a huge meat-eater, think about the points I've made and consider it yourself. I may not last. I wish I could be vegan, but it's next-to-impossible as a poor college student. This alone is going to be hard for me, too. Wish me luck. Thanks.

--Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment