Sunday, August 2, 2009

Just a Thought

Jon and I are both in a club at Western called Students for Educational Equality. One of our yearly goals is to raise something like $1500 to give to a low-income student coming to Western. This is a great idea, but I think the funds could be put to better use. I was just researching the Harlem Children's Zone on the Internet, and our funds can go towards helping students and families of this program. I like my idea better because we would be helping kids to go to college not because they don't have the money, but because they would never have had the opportunity due to the lack of education. I just read that the kids who are going to college straight from the HCZ have received about 6 million dollars in scholarship funds between 190 students. It appears that they are not lacking in funds because they have made great progress and are excellent scholarship material. What we can assist with is keeping these kids going through the program. And let's face it, if I'm a college student who's lacking in funds, receiving $1500 for one year isn't going to get me through college. After all, we're in favor of equality - not just low-income and high income inequality, but racial inequality too.

--Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment