Saturday, August 8, 2009

We Now Pass the Baton to You

Another blog = Elie finished a new book. And the book I finished was The Freedom Writers Diary - How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them.

Reading this book aroused several seemingly-disjointed ideas and questions:

-How likely is it that Erin Gruwell's (the teacher) methods are repeatable? What she did was amazing, especially as a first-year teacher. She stayed with her class (well, several classes for a total of 150 students) for all four years of high school. After her first batch of kids graduated, she stopped teaching at Wilson High School and taught at a university. She continues to be an inspiration to her past students and to future teachers, but the point is that she stopped teaching high school. In the movie based on this book, some faculty members asked Erin if she could repeat what she had done with other kids in years to come. Her answer was, "I don't know." She put an incredible amount of time, energy, and money into those first four years, and it's incredibly daunting to live up to her standards or to even make a fraction of a difference as she made.

-The good news is that there is another book (and a new one coming out in a few weeks) that is all about Erin Gruwell's methods of teaching. What she does now is teach her methods to other teachers so that her accomplishments with the Freedom Writers isn't particularly outstanding in comparison to other classes. Her efforts are currently concentrated to reproducing her method of teaching, and I really want to learn what she has to say. She even has an institute for current teachers, so I know that repeating what she did is possible.

-Erin Gruwell spent a great deal of money to take her kids on field trips to New York and Europe. She also brought people from all over the world to meet her students. She worked a second job with a famous hotel company to support her and her students' endeavours. I've heard that a lot of the "best" teachers must take on second or third jobs in order to raise enough money to take their kids to museums and on field trips outside of their dismal neighborhoods. I don't mind working hard, but it's exhausting just thinking about planning lessons, working a second job, and having a life. I know it's possible and that it's all the more rewarding, but it's still daunting.

-In the movie The Freedom Writers, Erin and her husband got divorced because Erin was spending so much time with her students and working her second job. Plus, her husband seemed to be kind of an unsupportive jerk. I'm not even sure if Erin did divorce her husband because it wasn't mentioned in the book, but it makes me worry. Will Jon and I continue to have a stable relationship when one or both of us will be occupied by teaching? I have no desire to be a stereotypical teacher who spends the minimal amount of time with the students and at school, and I hope my goal of being a super fantabulous teacher won't affect my relationship with Jon. And I know this is far in the future...but it's kind of not. In 4 or 5 ... or 6 years we'll be looking for teaching jobs, and we'll be put to the test.

-There were several paragraphs I highlighted simply because of the inspiration the words provided. It wasn't just that the words were beautiful but that they came from troubled high school students who were transformed by brilliant teaching methods. One of the parts was: "I know that there is not a day that will go by, when I believe something is wrong, I won't do anything about it. It is better to take a chance and make a change, than it is to pass and pity." Especially after reading Jonathan Kozol and Paul Tough's books, I've become even more inspired to do something. Not only do I want to do something, I want students to do something.

-Another such sentence is: "If they were educated, like I am, they'd learn to see past shades and beyond exteriors and see people." I found it heartwarming to know that these kids who were once deemed the failures of the school were the ones admitting that education is so important. These kids took charge of their education, and thus took charge of their entire lives.

-A favorite of mine: "In any and every situation, nonaction is never a sane and rational approach." These are powerful words, considering that me sitting here, not taking action, is actually insane and irrational. And I agree. I'm not exactly sure what I can do at this point in time, but I'm determined to do something.


-A similar statement: "Silence ensures that history repeats itself." It's frustrating to me that so few people know about the inequalities facing kids and schools. I wish there was a way to make everybody aware and caring. While it's difficult for me to impact many kids while I'm juggling college courses and college life in general, the least I can do is make people aware. How I'll do so has yet to be determined. But until nobody is silent about the disadvantages facing so many of America's youth, history will continue on its current, cruel path.

-One student wrote about Ms. Gruwell: "Most teachers aren't like that; they give you your homework and then send you on your way, never getting to know you. Ms. Gruwell is so much different. She gets to know you...she wants to get to know you." This statement made me fairly confident that I can be a successful teacher because, like Erin Gruwell, I care about kids and I want to get to know them. I have no intention of throwing out homework and sending kids on their way. For that one reason, I know I'll be an above average teacher simply because I care.

-The final paragraph of the epilogue reads: "The Freedom Writers see this book as their third leg of the relay race. Anne's story inspired Zlata, who has been hailed as the modern-day Anne Frank. Zlata then reciprocated by passing the baton to the Freedom Writers. We hope this book will inspire you to be the fourth leg of the race by encouraging you to pick up a pen and be a catalyst for change." This paragraph was written by Erin herself, and, after reading it, I felt the need to give her a hug and thank her, because I so badly want to be a catalyst for change. It's difficult for me to sit here in my sheltered home in the middle of nowhere when I can be doing something big and important. Then I remember that I don't have teaching credentials and I have a lot to learn, but I know that by learning about The Freedom Writers and the Harlem Children's Zone and lots of other catalysts for change, I can be educated enough and aware of how to best tackle future challenges I will face as a teacher in the years to come.

-While reading this book, I began to feel lucky and proud that I chose to obtain an English endorsement, because the written (and spoken) word is so powerful. Erin also used English to teacher her students about history, another subject I wish to teach. I'm also glad that my major is based on anthropology, which teaches, above all else, tolerance and understanding. I feel like I have the passion for and knowledge of the humanities to make an impact on kids. I believe that all subjects are equally important, but I feel as though my tools to institute change will come from my love and knowledge of English, anthropology, and history...and my love for students, of course. Maybe now I'll pay more attention in anthropology and history courses...

--Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment