Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

A few weeks ago, I had a dream or two about meeting my ex-best friend and us apologizing to each other and becoming friends again after having not spoken for at least 7 years after a mysterious break-up. All of this happened in real life, except for us meeting -- in person. After that dream, I managed to track her down via myspace. I considered writing to her, then I decided not to, then I thought about writing again, and then I finally did. After a few days, she responded. She apologized for breaking off our friendship and explained what was happening in her life at the time we stopped being friends. She also said that she thought about me and our friendship a lot and she had even tried writing letters but she could never say what she wanted to say. I completely understand and I forgive her and, honestly, I feel so much better.

This is a huge step for both of us. I can't quite comprehend that I just got in touch with her after being so hurt. But now we're communicating and making up. It's really a beautiful thing. I'm not expecting or hoping that we'll become "best friends forever" again, but maybe we'll get to a point where we'll stay in contact and essentially become penpals now that she lives so far away.

As if this wasn't enough, I met up with a friend who I used to very good friends with for many years. We hadn't talked for a year and then we went to dinner together for about one and a half hours yesterday. She was recently in a car accident and was drugged with various pain medications so she wasn't herself, but she hasn't been herself since taking drugs in high school. I was a little disappointed because I wanted us to become friends again when we met up yesterday, but I felt very little connection between us. She's moved in one direction and I've moved in another, and I felt no desire to rekindle a relationship.

Life is funny sometimes.

--Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment