Friday, December 18, 2009

Dear Popular Girls of Middle School,

You all made me feel worthless and unpopular. You made me try to be like you and get into your clique, and I was discouraged each time you pushed me away. You were the cool ones who were going to make it big one day, with your handsome, popular boyfriends, your beautiful skin full of make-up, and your brand-name clothing. You all made me feel so out of the loop that I voluntarily pushed myself as far away from your clique as possible. I tried my best to be a tomboy by not dressing in tight, expensive clothing, by not wearing makeup, by not coloring, straightening, or curling my hair, by not taking dance classes, and by not having all the boyfriends I possibly could.

Well, the years have passed, and I went my own way. While you guys were more involved with cheerleading, boys, and your appearance, I was concentrating on good grades. Popularity was not a concern of mine, although I often wished I had more friends. But I never wanted to be like you. By the time high school rolled around, I knew I would never be that shallow.

Over five years has passed since middle school, and I'm slowly figuring out what you're all doing. While I'm fulfilling my dream of becoming teacher, what are you guys doing? Are you all living in mansions with gorgeous husbands and expensive dogs? Or are you working hard in med school?

Not even close. You all are stuck in the lousy place we grew up, going to community college every once in a while, or going to beauty school to support your children. What good will beauty school get you? What good can you do in the world? Sure, you can make rich, white women feel richer and more beautiful, but what good does that to do anybody else? And you've probably figured out that the beautiful boy you've been dating is actually a loser and cannot support you and your family or family-to-be.

But wait! For once, I'm the one with the handsome boyfriend. And he's actually smart. And guess what? We're going to do something with our lives. And I don't mean having children as soon as possible or styling people's hair. We're going to help people who need it, and we're going to reach people at deeper levels than their skin or hair.

So, you popular girls of middle school, thank you for being so horrible and shallow. Otherwise, I may have been accepted into your clique and ruined my life. I may have suffered in middle school, but, thanks to you, I know I came out on top.

Edit: I discussed this topic with my mom, the idea of very few people from McCleary leaving the area, let alone going to a four-year college where they have to move away from home for a few years. Her hypothesis (with which I agree) is that people from McCleary are used to being a big fish in a little pond. People in McCleary are usually born and raised in the area where they have lots of friends and relatives. By going to a university or just moving out of the area, they're suddenly nobody. I understand that being a little fish in a big pond is scary; I've been there. But the people from McCleary don't have the nerve to be that little fish. They're too scared to move outside of their comfort zone and become nobody and have to actually make a name for themselves.

From the beginning, I was different because I moved to McCleary from Tacoma. I knew nobody and had no relatives within 100 miles. Because I wasn't born with my reputation and family tree stapled to my forehead, I was not accepted in McCleary.

But I've taken risks, beginning with going to high school in Olympia. I was successful in that endeavour, which helped give me courage to move away from my home and again be a little fish in a big pond. I may not be known by everybody at Western, but I like to think that I'm seen as a big fish in the activities I pursue, such as the clubs and bands I'm in. I've gone out in the world and done something, and I'll continue doing this until I'm a successful teacher - and a successful person. Take THAT, popular girls from middle school.

Most sincerely,
Elie

1 comment: