Monday, January 4, 2010

Bellingham is A-Buzzing

And thus begins a new chapter in our lives. A new year. A new quarter. A new...hair cut?

I actually have a resolution for the new year. Well, I guess it wasn't for the new year, but it began around the new year. I mentioned in my previous blog that my pants fit, which is a bad thing. Since coming back to Bellingham, I've taken up jogging, and I love it. In addition to making my legs really sore, I already feel a difference. And being healthy is good. But no, I refuse to drink milk. Don't even ask.

A while back, right before summer ended, I wrote about not stressing any more. I said something awfully catchy like, "it's time to stop stressing and start living." Well, that didn't work out very well, unfortunately. I considered trying to try that resolution again, but I know I can't do it. It's like quitting smoking cold turkey. I can't quit stressing just like that. But I need to do something. Here I am, one day before school starts, and I've given myself a headache due to stress. And classes haven't even started yet! I keep telling myself that it'll be fine, but it doesn't do a whole lot. I keep thinking, what if I can't handle all my classes? What if I have major time conflicts with my clubs and potentially future job? What if I suck at archaeology or any of my other classes?

My mind goes back to last quarter when I freaked out about my evil, evil history and anthropology classes. But guess what. I got A- in both of those classes. It's like Western is trying to tell me to shut up about stressing because I'll be fine. Why can't I listen to reason?!

Well, reason is also telling me that I may have committed to too much: 20 credits of coursework, 3 clubs, pep band, and 2 jobs. But if I didn't do so much, I'd think I was slacking compared to everybody else, which would also make me stress. I feel like I need to do something extraordinary, so I overwhelm myself with classes and extra-curriculars.

Elie. Shut up and stop worrying. It'll be fine. Sincerely,

Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment