Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's Been Awhile [What's Up! Pre-Awards Show 2010 review]

It's been awhile since I was unable to sleep due to ear-ringing and adrenaline-rush. That's right--tonight I attended my first show in quite some time, and it was quite enjoyable. First of all, the lighting was excellent. Unfortunately, my spot at the very front had some downsides; namely being in between speakers prevented me from hearing some stuff, particularly during Idiot Pilot's set.

Sugar Sugar Sugar was the opening band, and at the first few chords and drum-hits, I wasn't very impressed; sounded like a typical pseudo-"classic-rock" band. Then the vocals came in... and it was not at all what I expected. No Brian Johnson or Bon Scott or Robert Plant or Mick Jagger impressions; more of a Prince impression than anything. As the set went on, I took them for what they were; a pretty damn entertaining local rock band. Good set.

Next was Rooftops. The first time I saw them, they were "the Acoustops" opening for Pan Pan (or was it the other way around? Can't remember) in the Underground Coffeehouse. Electric instruments definitely suit them better. Super-mathy virtuosic guitar pop is the best way to describe them. Sarah Jerns of Pan Pan joined them on flugelhorn/trumpet on a couple tunes, which was quite the nice addition. IMO, they're just a taaaad too noodly, but overall I enjoyed it.

Next was Yogoman Burning Band, the very fun ska/reggae/dub/whatever band that tried to make me dance when I wanted to stand and enjoy the music. I don't have anything against people who want to dance (until they started dry-humping in front of me, or when bro Sublime-fans start ramming into me), but it irritates me when a band says (this is almost actually a direct quote) "If you're not dancing, you should be." NOPE. Regardless, their music was very nice, tight, fun, and groovy. I liked it.

Next up was Idiot Pilot. Fortunately for people like me but unfortunately for the ego of the closing band, a bunch of people left before they went on. They totally rocked it, though. Only three songs from their [superior, IMO] debut album, "Strange We Should Meet Here," but they were good ones ("A Day in the Life of a Poolshark," eponymous track, and set-closer "To Buy a Gun"). Lots of jumping, thrashing, screaming, belting, electro clicks, and just energy in general. Very glad I finally got to see them live.

On the way home, the bus was totally full of possibly drunk college students doing their Friday night thing, and then on Ferry Ave I saw a couple of deer. I'm going to bed now. Good night!

--Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment