Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hmm, Summer

I've posted two blogs entries in a row, Jon. You're falling behind!

Anyway, I called my madre on this fine Mother's Day to wish her a happy Sunday. She was kind of confused as to why I didn't wish her a happy Mother's Day. Even my own mother doesn't understand my humor. But then we were talking about my summer plans and found out that we (as in the members of Squirrel Baggers United) have about a month before spring quarter ends - less than a month before going "home." I discovered that my darling brother wants to keep his room and not take mine, so I don't have to move everything out of one room and into another. I guess that's good news. Also, my elderly dog's arthritis is getting worse which means her life is quickly dwindling. I can't even fathom what life will be like without her. I can hardly remember life before we got her.

But really, summer plans. Working, right? Of course. I'm still going to work for Fair Portia Jewelry (shameless advertising plug) a few times a week or so. I'm pretty sure I've got a position as a camp counselor for two weeks in August at Camp Ruach Shovava. Lots of little Jewish kids running around everywhere, stealing our shoes, and making up skits about cheese. Yep. And then, most importantly, I hope to get a job/volunteer position at Elma Middle School's summer school. Also, my mom's still looking around for other volunteering things to do. But getting paid is always nice...

At first, I was hoping to do anything that would boost my resume to get me into the college of education. Not that I'll be applying anytime soon, but I would love to have an excellent resume and be admitted on my first try. As I looked around at some potential volunteering positions, I got excited about working with kids and teaching them. I'm not just doing it to pad my resume; I really like the idea of being around kids (not little ones, mind you) and making them enthusiastic and hopefully like learning. I was also looking up books to read over the summer, and I'm truly excited to read about schools, teaching, and children. Teaching had better be my "calling" because if it isn't, I have no clue what to do with my life.

--Elie

No comments:

Post a Comment